Monday, August 13

The Coconut Cocktail



My sister Rose has just informed me that my honeymoon is over, and it's time to get back to the grindstone. It's true, I've been slacking on my blogging duties lately, but I've had other things on my mind. Planning a wedding for 125 guests is no easy feat, but in the end it turned out to be the best party I've ever thrown. It wouldn't have been possible though, without all of my dear sister's help and support. Thank you Rose!

Even before this whole wedding thing got out of control, I've been wanting to post about a new drink I've concocted. It's very simple in concept, but amazingly delicious and refreshing in flavor. When I first tasted this drink I couldn't believe the subtle flavors of banana and vanilla that seemingly came out of nowhere. Let me give you a little background about how this drink came to be.

In the past, one of my favorite things about going out to Thai food was always the sweet and spicy Thai iced tea. I just couldn't get enough of the stuff, but when I moved down to Long Beach and started seeing fresh young coconuts offered on the menu, the iced tea moved into second place. Now I go out to Thai food just because I'm craving these coconuts. When you order one, the waiter cuts a square in the top of the chilled nut, and presents it to you with a straw, and a spoon to gouge out the insides once you finish drinking the refreshing juice. According to Wikipedia, the water contained in the young coconut has been successfully used as liquid in intravenous therapy in emergency situations due to its sterility, pH, mineral, and sugar content. In other words, it's the perfect antidote to a hangover in it's ability to rehydrate the human body. This fact led me to the next logical question: why not mix it with alcohol for a hangover-proof drink?

The other day, while a few friends were over and several drinks had already been passed around, I started to feel a little creative. I'd recently purchased a box of six fresh, young coconuts from my local Asian market with the idea of saving money on eating out. I'd chilled two of them in the refrigerator for future use, and suddenly I felt that their time had come. I took out my beautiful Wusthof chefs knife (the heaviest knife I could find) and began to chop at the tops of the nuts with much bravado. I quickly realized that I'd not yet mastered Zen and the Art of Coconut Opening. Please see my once fine piece of cutlery on the right with damaged blade. After a little research and practice I can now say I'm a master. My advice is this: go out and get yourself a cheap cleaver at the Asian market(I paid $5). Put the coconut on a firm, sturdy surface. Take the cleaver in your good hand, wind up, and make four decisive chops on the top of the nut in the shape of a square. With a little practice, and some luck, you too will be able to impress your friends with the art of Coconut Kung Fu.

At last, here is the recipe you've been waiting for:

--The Coconut Cocktail

*One well chilled fresh young coconut with the top removed in a neat square. (If you don't have access to young coconuts at your local Asian market or health food store you can order them by mail from Amazon or RawGuru (organic Hawaiian), but you will pay dearly)
*1 1/2 Ounces Whaler's Original Dark Rum. (Available at Trader Joe's or here)
*1 dash Angostura Bitters
*1 straw

1. Remove or drink enough water from the coconut to accommodate the rum.

2. Pour in the rum and add the bitters.

3. Serve with a straw and add tropical garnishes if you're feeling festive.

4. Enjoy, and don't forget to eat out the young coconut flesh with a spoon when you're finished drinking.

3 comments:

Patricia Scarpin said...

Will, that is a wonderful idea - I love coconut water!
It's very common here in Brazil and very refreshing.
It's also great for those "stomach flus", it keeps the people hydrated.

Will said...

Patricia, thanks for the encouragement! Your blog is a gold mine. I can't wait to try out some of your recipes like the Brazilian anthill cake and the tomato hearts of palm salad. Cheers!

catiemay said...

Hi I love this idea. Do you mind if I share it on our Facebook page. We have a coconut opener called www.cococut.com which lets you open up coconuts with a bit more 'zen' and not ruin your knives :) Check it out and let me know what you think.
Catie